PSSOU offers various academic programmes that lead to Certificates, Diplomas and Degrees. It develops and produces courses for delivery through open learning and distance education mode. PSSOU is also actively involved in research, training and extension education activities. The objectives of the university as mentioned in the act are –
· To advance and disseminate learning and knowledge by different means, including the use of Communication Technology.
· To provide opportunities for higher education to larger segment of the population and to promote the educational well being of the community in general and tribes of C.G. in particular.
· To encourage the ODL System in the educational pattern of the state.
· To provide an alternative non-formal/non-institutional and cost effective channel for tertiary education.
· To supplement the conventional university system by releasing undue pressure on it.
· To provide a ‘Second chance’ to all those who discontinued their formal education or could not join regular colleges or universities owing to social, economic and other constraints.
· To democratize higher education by providing necessary access to the masses and the disadvantageous groups like the rural population, the unemployed, women and others wishing to acquire and upgrade knowledge and skills at their doorsteps.
· To promote courses leading to gainful employment, tailored to specific professional needs with local relevance.
· To provide an innovative system of university level education that is flexible and opens in the methods of learning, pace and place/Adopt innovative programmes with a wide variety of combinations of curses and to conduct examinations with a view to encourage learning at convenience.
PSSOU stands significantly apart from other Chhattisgarh state universities because of:
1. State jurisdiction2. flexible admission rules
3. individualised study : flexibility, in terms of place, pace and duration of study4. tries to use of latest educational and communication technologies
5. student support services6. cost-effective programmes
7. modular programmes8. resource sharing, collaboration and networking between other Open Universities through IGNOU EDUSET SIT.